Saturday 16 November 2013

Wake me up Breakfast Buns

If someone asks me about my favourite food it takes me a mere second to answer: breakfast! I just can't be specific, as all things breakfast-y are in the permanent top spots of my food favourites: from some crisp french toast to eggs and spinach or some baked beans and sausages - looove them all! One staple in our home are buns. When during the week it's all about my loved oatmeal with fruit and yogurt on saturdays and sundays cold butter melts on a fluffy but crusty bun right on my plate, just waiting to be topped with some cheese or homemade jam: weekend perfection! 
 
 
It's like a sport here to find the bakery with the most perfect buns: crusty outside but pillowy soft on the inside, not to sweet but not to salty either. In the end there's just one thing better then some fresh baked buns from out favourite bakery - that is, you might have guessed: a homemade bun, just taken out of my beloved oven still hot to the touch and steaming as it cools of.
 
At some time in the past years my body decided for me to be a morning kind of person. I could easily sleep until lunch during elementary school, but now: not so much. 7 am in the morning and I'm awake, no further possibility of drowsing or turning around for 5 more minutes, my eyes won't close and my feet just wait to start moving. As if to say "the early bird gets the worm" my body wants to start being productive. Not that this isn't a bad thing, we had some discussions and try outs about it in the past, and now accepted this fact: during the weekend he lets me wake up early and during the week he's more of a lazy one... Bad Compromise I guess, but hey: with waking up early I can spent some time in the kitchen, preparing fresh homemade breakfast goods for the family, to wake up to all those comforting smells coming from the kitchen!
 
 
For today's breakfast buns you certainly don't have to be an early bird: these take 30 minutes from start to finish, which means you can whip them up in your pyjamas and while laying the table the dough will be turned into a crisp crust with soft interior! The ingredients are so basic and the process is so easy, that you might as well still be sleeping with an eye ;-).
What makes them even better: the basic recipe makes 4 buns, perfect for a whole weekend for one person or for one breakfast for two! As tomorrow's sunday you can wake up your loved one(s) with a lovely homemade breakfast or just treat yourself alone and freeze the leftovers - and all without waking up too early for hours of kneading!
 

Breakfast Buns
- makes 4 buns, each about 4 inch in diameter
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour (can be substituted with all purpose)
- 1/2 cup Milk (you might need more, according to the texture of your flour)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 and 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- optional: about 2 Tbsp of nuts, seeds, dried fruits, etc.

1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Mix together the dry ingredients and the optionals if you prefer a certain taste direction. Then gradually add in the milk and stir with a fork until well incorporated and a sticky, thick dough is formed. If dough is too dry just add in a little more milk by the tablespoon.
4. With a tablespoon put dollops of dough (about 4 inches in diameter) onto the parchment paper and bake in the oven for 25 minutes. The buns are done when they can easily be taken of the parchment paper and sound hollow when tapped. Take them out and let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment